RHODE ISLAND DIVISION OF TAXATION BACK TAX RELIEFGet started resolving your state tax liabilities using the information below. If you still need help, reach out to us using the contact form to the right of this page.
Check out the Rhode Island Taxpayer’s Rights web page. It’s not much for specifics.
RI-DOT Monthly Payment Plan
Here are the basics.
- Expect to pay a down payment of 50% of your balance due to Rhode Island. A little bit of flexibility may be possible.
- Payments need to be direct debit.
- Max number of months allowed to pay is 12. Additional time may be granted in extreme circumstances and based on ability to pay, but it’s not handed out to everyone.
- A defaulted Installment Agreement in the past may be a consideration.
- Financial statement form 433-A and/or 433-B may be required depending on the amount of time you’re granted to pay back the tax.
- Choose a payment date of either the 15th or 30th of each month.
State of Rhode Island Offer in Compromise
Back Tax Settlement
Petition for Compromise General Information
- You can expect the WI-DOR to review your Petition within about 90 days of receiving it.
- You will be expected to pay the Offer amount within 10 days of acceptance, unless you have negotiated a payment schedule.
- The State has the right to review the account within 3 years from the date of acceptance. If they find that your circumstances have improved and now have the ability to full pay, you may be required to attend a hearing for further determination and you may be responsible for full payment.
- If your Petition is rejected, you can ask for a second review by requesting it in writing.
I wish I had better news for you, but it’s not likely that you’re getting penalty relief. If you’re successful, please let us know how you did it.
Here’s what the Rhode Island Taxpayer’s Rights website has to say: