CALIFORNIA FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Get started resolving your state tax liabilities using the information below. If you still need help, reach out to us using the contact form to the right of this page.
A lot of great information about how to fix your back tax problem with the State can be found on the Franchise Tax Board’s website.
Check out the Collections Web Page, especially the Payment Plans Web Page.
FTB Monthly Payment Plan
- Current tax compliance is a must.
- Owe less than $25,000? Can you pay it back in monthly installments over 5 years? If you answered yes to both questions, the FTB will probably grant you an Installment Agreement.
- Owe more than $10,000 or need more than 3 years to pay? If so, you can expect to provide financial information.
- You will be charged a $34 set up fee for the payment plan.
- Expect a tax lien to be filed against you.
- Of course, all tax returns must be filed and all current tax payments must be made.
- The Installment Agreement fee for businesses goes up to $50.
- A tax lien will likely be filed against your business.
- Financial information and documentation is necessary to be considered for an Installment Agreement.
FTB Offer in Compromise
Yes, the state does have an Offer in Compromise program available to delinquent taxpayers. It typically takes about 90 days from the date of receipt for the FTB to review it.
The California and IRS OIC programs have some similarities in how they go about determining whether to accept or deny an Offer request.Offer In Compromise things you should know.
You may be able to get a penalty waiver from the FTB in a First-Time Abatement type of scenario, similar to the IRS.The FTB may also remove penalty for Reasonable Cause.